Ahh, the end of the year! Time for new beginnings and taking a look back at 2016. It was a great year for me. I started a blog! This one! You’re on it right now! Hooray!
If you’re new around here, Toot’s Mom is Tired was started kind of on a whim and took off rapidly. Now blogging is an obsession for me. I’ve always been into social media, but I never thought I’d be a mommy blogger. Well, here we are. I found out that I loved sharing parenting tips with my friends who had babies just a few weeks or months younger than Toot, and I decided why not just tell everyone that will listen?
I’ve also started sharing blogging tips for anyone interested in starting a blog or growing their blog. My How to Blog series is very popular and sometimes I feel like I should be running two different websites!
Ok, I know why you’re here.
Ads: $0. Still waiting on Google Adsense to approve me.
Sponsored Content: $2.* Just one sponsored tweet.
- Zazzle: $100 (Please note that I’ve been on Zazzle for years so this isn’t specific to my blog. I’m including it because I have had a lot of traffic from my Ultimate Guide to Earning Extra Money with Zazzle post.)
- Amazon: $27
- Ebates: $1
- ShareASale: $4*
- ShopStyle; $2*
*I haven’t hit the payout threshold for these so they are still pending
Courses: $500. I wasn’t going to buy any more courses but I got my year-end bonus at work when the presale for Elite Blog Academy was happening so I took it as a sign. I’m done buying courses. I swear.
Website Maintenance: $20. I hired a friend to increase my loading speed and set up some plugins.
Totals for December
Net Income: -$384
Ok, so I made a few investments. I’m hoping to reap the rewards in 2017 when I can tackle Elite Blog Academy and really increase my revenue. I’m currently working on sponsored content for January, and I still have pending Zazzle earnings from December that will be cleared in January. That will be a big chunk of earnings. Hoping to get back in the black soon.
Totals for 2016 (August 22 – Dec 31)
Expenses: $972. This was mainly courses. If you don’t count courses it was only $170.
Net Income: -$323 (which would be $479 not counting courses)
How much traffic did I get in December?
Where did it come from?
- Most of this is from Flipboard. It shows up as referral traffic and not social media.
Organic Search: 5%
Top Posts for December
- 30 Easy, Fast, & All Day Recipes for Busy Working Moms
- 8 of the Best Melissa and Doug Toys for Toddlers
- How I Made Money in My Third Month of Blogging
- How to Get More Traffic to Your Blog with StumbleUpon
Well, it was the holiday season so I got some great sales on Zazzle and Amazon. My highest converting post was the Melissa and Doug toys post. So I think the fact that it was specific to one popular brand helped a lot. I got most of my traffic to it from Pinterest. If you want details on my Pinterest strategy, that’s over here.
I got a lot of traffic from Flipboard unexpectedly so I joined, and it’s now part of my social media strategy.
What Didn’t Work
I had a few affiliate programs that I tried and nothing came from them. I’m unsure if I’m going to continue to heavily promote them. The ones that don’t have a minimum payout I may still work with. But I may ditch Shopstyle because I’m nowhere near the payout and not getting anywhere fast with it. I think I’m going to give up my $4 I’ve earned now rather than earn $20 over 10 months and still only be a fifth of the way to payout.
Goals for December
- Increase pageviews by literally anything. – PASS! 38% increase! Yay!
- Finish writing my Zazzle book. – FAIL. Ok, Maybe it was too much to ask of myself to write almost every day during the holiday season.
- Apply to at least 4 sponsored campaigns. PASS. I applied to probably about 10. I ended up landing one that was offered to me!
Goals for January
- Actually finish my book.
- Redo my resources page.
- Set up ConvertKit.
- Get ahead on content creation by at least one week.
No traffic goals this month. I’m going to focus on lead magnets and book launch. I’m also getting an intern this month! So I will be busy teaching her how to blog and work with social media.
What about you? What are your goals?
Let me know in the comments below!